PE-2: Physical Access Authorizations
- NIST Special Publication 800-53 Revision 4:
- PE-2: Physical Access Authorizations
- Develop, approve, and maintain a list of individuals with authorized access to the facility where the system resides;
- Issue authorization credentials for facility access;
- Review the access list detailing authorized facility access by individuals [Assignment: organization-defined frequency]; and
- Remove individuals from the facility access list when access is no longer required.
Physical access authorizations apply to employees and visitors. Individuals with permanent physical access authorization credentials are not considered visitors. Authorization credentials include ID badges, identification cards, and smart cards. Organizations determine the strength of authorization credentials needed consistent with applicable laws, executive orders, directives, regulations, policies, standards, and guidelines. Physical access authorizations may not be necessary to access certain areas within facilities that are designated as publicly accessible.
PE-2(1): Access by Position or Role
Authorize physical access to the facility where the system resides based on position or role.
PE-2(2): Two Forms of Identification
Require two forms of identification from the following forms of identification for visitor access to the facility where the system resides: [Assignment: organization-defined list of acceptable forms of identification].
PE-2(3): Restrict Unescorted Access
Restrict unescorted access to the facility where the system resides to personnel with [Assignment (one or more): security clearances for all information contained within the system, formal access authorizations for all information contained within the system, need for access to all information contained within the system, [Assignment: organization-defined physical access authorizations] ].